Why was there a sudden boom in heart-shaped jewelry in the mid-1990s? Why are pearl necklaces still associated with eating breakfast at a jewelry store? Movies! Numerous pieces of jewelry featured on the silver screen became must-have items. What are some of the most famous pieces of jewelry found on reels of film?
5 Famous Pieces of Movie Jewelry
1. Diamonds, Diamonds, Diamonds: In Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Marilyn Monroe sang about how Diamonds Are A Girl’s Best Friend. She was donning an iconic 24.04 carat diamond known as the Moon of Baroda. This pear-shaped yellow diamond was worn by Marie Antoinette and Empress Maria Theresa of Austria before it made a silver screen debut on Marilyn.
2. Pearl Necklace: Audrey Hepburn wore a stunning diamond and pearl necklace at the beginning of Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Her iconic necklace, tiara and little black dress changed style forever. Early 1960s Hollywood was defined by her classic look, and many people still emulate the classy charm of Audrey and her pearls today.
3. Heart-Shaped Gems: In Titanic, Kate Winslet wore a necklace central to the plot of the movie known as the Heart of the Ocean. The film narrative contends that the diamond belonged to King Louis XVI. While that wasn’t the reality, thousands of people sought out sapphires and other precious stones in heart shapes and settings to mimic the necklace from the movie.
4. Engagement Rings: Cameron Diaz wore a stunning channel-set diamond engagement ring in the movie My Best Friend’s Wedding. The ring was a key part of the movie, and the ring that she donned in the movie set the trend of the most popular engagement ring style in the 1990s.
5. The Necklace That Got the Guy: In How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Kate Hudson dons a yellow diamond necklace that was created just for the movie. The price tag? 5 million dollars! It is the most expensive necklace or jewelry piece ever crafted just for a film, and for years after brides and romantic partners sought out similar yellow diamond necklaces.
Talk to the Experts at SAZ Gem & Jewelry Appraisal
Whether you have a family ring you are interested in learning the value of or you’re looking to expand your collection, SAZ Gem & Jewelry Appraisal is here to help. We know how to verify the authenticity of vintage jewels and can assist you before, during or after the purchasing process. For more information, give us a call at 425-785-1871.